
How could I not love this kid. Several times a day he puts his arm around me and says "Don't worry
Mommy, I've got you." Could anything be more precious? His heaven is me cuddling on the couch with him to watch a
Backyardigans episode. I don't do that with him as often as I probably should. He's getting good at talking to people on the phone and ends every conversation with "We're at home, Bye." The other day when we were at the dealership he ended his conversation with Bop "We're at work, Bye." I'd say breakfast is our biggest family meal
because it happens everyday. Joshua always chooses what we are going to have - usually waffles or eggs. The other morning we were eating waffles and he
proclaimed "They ARE better than steak!" Potty training obviously hasn't
happened yet. But Joshua does use the potty at least once a day. He knows he gets a treat, so he insists that anyone else who uses the potty gets a treat as well. Every time I go to the bathroom Joshua runs to the candy drawer and pulls me out a treat. I think that I've been treating Joshua like a 10 year old for the past year. It's probably because he's always been so verbal. So, because he can communicate, I think he should be able to
exercise self
control and follow instructions perfectly. I keep trying to remind myself that he is only 2, so I need to lower my expectations. Joshua is
definitely testing the
boundaries right now. The other day John came home from work and asked Joshua what he did that day.
Joshua's response was "Lots of time-outs." We're working through it, and I'm learning how to get him to listen. The nice thing so far is he outgrows trying stages rather quickly. Joshua goes to bed
every night by 7:30 or 8:00 at the latest. But often I'll check on him at 9 or 9:30 and he'll still be laying in his bed awake. That's when I sneak in there with him and we sing songs. He loves to sing songs. I am amazed at how fast he learns the words. I'm sad at the thought of my little boy growing up. I wish I could keep him at 2 forever. I don't know that he'll ever love me as much as he does today, and express it so so freely.
12 comments:
I feel the same way with Elliott. He has such a good vocabulary that I often think- "come on, do we have to have a time out right now?" and then I remember he is 3. I too feel like I would like to keep him here forever.
Some of the best potty training advice I got was from another mom that told me to wait and that I would know when he was ready. I really did know- one day he just told me he wanted to wear "big boy underwear" and we have never looked back. We did the same as you- let him use the potty and he got to put a cool sticker on a chart and then we would get out the cool "big boy" undies (wear them around) every once in awhile and that must have done the trick. He will be ready soon- then watch out- it is public restrooms- yuk. You are a good mom, I can tell.
I love that post! It makes me want to run over and give Joshua a big hug! And they call these the "terrible two's". I think Joshua is anything but terrible (except maybe on his time-out days :) Love him!
This made me want to cry. You are such a good mom. And Joshua is hilarious-I can't get over the picture!
That was so adorable! I wish I could say that it will continue, but at the moment I am nothing but uncool to Cameron. I have to beg him for a hug. And a kiss is just out of the question. But 11 they dont care too much about mom. But it all use to be different. I use to be his world. I know someday he will love me again. Or at least show it. Joshua sounds like he is adorable. What a little cutie! About the whole Potty training, you should take that and run with it, he sounds smart enough to catch on quick. We are starting Peyton right now.
I recently commented on another friend's blog regarding two year olds. I believe that it is the most perfect age any child will be. I don't get the whole "terrible two's" thing. I think a two year old is heaven on earth. I even thought that before I had kids. I think anticipating the age motivates me to have more babies. Also, I had no idea Alex and Joshua were so close in age. Joshua definitely seems so much older!
I love that picture and what a sweet post about your little cutie. I love 2 year olds (most of the time) they show so much personality and learn so much it's just such a fun time to be a mom. Good luck with potty training - and if you figure out a magic pill of some sort pass it on or I'm going to have 3 kids in diapers!!!!
Could he get any cuter? He IS adorable...and easy to love!
I once had three children in diapers- three different sizes also. Here is my magic story: Do not worry about it. When the child is ready they will do it. I tried to potty train my 2 1/2 year old before the baby came and it was a disaster. Then, when the baby was 6 or 7 months old my then over 3 1/2 year old and did it in less than a week. (I also did the two year old girl at the same time- a two for one.) Everyone thought he was ridiculously old, but he did it on his terms. I had friends that forcefully potty trained to avoid three in diapers and they ended up with a lot of accidents. You will save yourself, (and your child), a lot of grief if you don't stress out about when it happens. End of soapbox.
Clayton wasn't potty-trained until his FOURTH birthday!!!! And we were done in a day. Any earlier attempts were disasterous. Anna on the other hand was 2 1/2. To each their own, right?
Just hold him and love him and squeeze him. Don't you just wish we could save this time in a bottle -- so we can always come back to it.
i just love that kid to death!!! i was to squeeze his little legs... i miss u guys so much!!!!!!!!
Just wait, 3 and 4 is even more exciting than 2! And if it's possible, they love on you even more! The potty thing will happen too! He'll do it when he's ready to be a "big boy" and wear "big boy panties" (we call them panties because of the 3 older girls-I've never called them underwear). At 3and 4, they still have a sense of wonder and amazement. By the time they go to kinder-not so much anymore. So enjoy it for the next couple of years!
Hey Brooke I love your Blog - Try preparing Josh for the potty by telling him 3yr olds don't wear diapers and when he has his Bithday he will have to wear underpants. He's so smart- He will understand. It worked for Reagan - The day after her 3rd B-day - bye bye diapers!! She fought me a little but finally accepted that she was 3 - and it was time - just like I have to accept that I'm 36 and not as hot as I used to be!!
Post a Comment