Thursday, February 14, 2013

My Voice

No, not my lovely singing voice that everyone longs to hear.
I don't know what it is about kids that just makes parents feel like we need to yell.  I am in the process of updated our Davis House Rules  - but number one will remain the same:  No yelling.  Always speak and correct in a soft voice.  There are periods of time when I am doing great with this and then there are periods where I forget it.  The biggest difference I notice during those opposing times are how I feel.  When I am yelling, I'm always maxed out and frustrated.  When I'm following our number one rule, I am so much more relaxed and don't feel tension in my body.  I've also learned that yelling does not make my kids do anything faster or more obediently, it just diminishes their little spirits.  Since having Hunter it has been hard for me to get back on track with being the parent I want to be for my kids.  The other night I was practicing with Joshua and as I was yelling at him to curve his fingers and counting and clapping my hands it hit me once more - What am I doing?  I'm not helping him or me!  And I vowed again to always use a soft voice.  

1 comment:

jbel said...

same here! always notice it happens at the end of the day, when we are all tired and I'm especially tired of children who ignore me and don't follow basic rules ... you know, the kind that have been established since they could walk and talk and the ones they've heard repeated every day like 10x/day? yeah, it's not an easy job. your imperfections are constantly on display. but, so long as we keep trying to be better, that is what matters!