Sunday, October 3, 2010

My Joshua

I really think that Joshua is not your average 5 year old.  I'm sure every parent thinks their child is one of a kind - extra special.  Of course they all are, but that's not what I'm saying here.  I really think he has a not typical personality.  I mostly love it, however it can drive me nuts too.  I've had 2 aunts say they couldn't handle him as a child (in a non offensive way of course).  I'm glad he was sent to me because I (at least feel like I) totally get him.

The poor kid stole a candy bar today from Target.  He was SO excited when we got home, laughing, as he showed me what he was going to eat for dessert.  I then had to explain to him what stealing was, and how not only was it breaking one of Heavenly Father's commandments, but also it was breaking the law.  I called John and asked him to get home in time to take Joshua back to Target and pay for the candy bar.  When the time came, Joshua didn't want to leave.  John said he cried the whole way to Target convinced he was going to jail.  Finally John said that even though that wouldn't happen, if it did happen, John would go for him.  Then it turned into a stream of  - well then how will I get home?  (mommy will pick you up) - what if she goes to jail instead of picking me up?  (the police man can take you home)  - what if he takes both of us to jail instead of taking me home?  and on and on all in tears.  It really is sad and hilarious all at the same time.  Sad because he really was scared, hilarious because of his dissatisfaction with just the "that won't happen, stop asking!" reply.  But really good, because at least he won't be stealing again, I promise you that!

What I love about Joshua is his adult like eyes he CAN look at his younger siblings with.  When Luke is so excited to show Joshua a cool trick, Joshua not only pays attention to him, but he also responds with full enthusiasm "That's awesome Lukey!  That's a really cool trick for a 3 year old."  He rarely ignores or belittles.  I LOVE THAT.

Joshua is in his 3rd Kindergarten class and 2nd school - which all happened within the first 2 weeks of school.  It's great because he's where I was trying to get him in back in March.  Being number 124 on the waiting list, we didn't think it was going to happen - but 5 days into the school it did.  So my unfazed little boy has had 3 kindergarten teachers this year - and hopefully - that's all he'll have!  I'm extra protective of Joshua and want only positive experiences for him.  It KILLS me to hear, 'so and so was mean to me' - or 'they wouldn't let me play with them'.  I know I can't protect him from childhood, but I really want to.  Or at least the parts that I see as hurtful. 

I don't know that I enjoy the routined days of the school year, or the fast mornings getting him out of the house by 7:40.  I miss the relaxing, fun days of summer.  I am grateful for the separate out of the house stimulation my boys are having as that is possibly leading to a little less fighting! 

Life is changing so much, so quickly.  The little baby I had 5 years ago isn't even recognizable. I can't believe that in another 5 years he'll be 10 and Caroline will be in Kindergarten.  Can't I just freeze them and keep them as mine forever?

1 comment:

The last Unicorn said...

It kills me to when kids are mean... and I am just an Aunt! Maybe its because I have a kid of my own who will one day be going to kindergarten. I wish I could freeze time too, but then I would miss all the future has in store. I love your kids!