Sunday, January 20, 2008

Luke Christian Davis

This kid is driving me nuts!! It's been 7 days, one week, that he has been reverting back to infancy and waking up in the middle of the night. Every night at around 2am Luke wakes up crying. I go in, check him, make sure nothings wrong, re-position him in the crib and put his covers back on, then shut his door and shut my door so the crying is muffled as he cries himself back to sleep. If he falls asleep within a few minutes then we are okay for the rest of the night, but if it takes him a while to cry himself to sleep then he wakes up again around 4am because he's got a massive burp in his belly from all that crying. So then I go in, pick him up, burp him, and put him back to cry to sleep (this one only lasts 2 minutes at most). Okay so this is my question - is it because he's teething? or is it psychological? I am doing nothing to reward this waking. I don't feed, cuddle, rock, or bring him into my bed - so why the heck is he still doing it 7 days later?! Please give me your advise!

7 comments:

BreAnna said...

I have no advice about Luke, I stand in awe of mother's everyday at all they figure out! However, I love Itally and am so excited that you guys are going in Oct!! What a fun trip, I must say flying in a bed may be the end all of traveling, I don't know if I will ever expierence that so enjoy it twice, one for you and one for me!

The last Unicorn said...

ummm... no idea! It could be teething. It sounds like a good explanation :) Poor Luke... Poor Brooke!

jbel said...

That is a toughie indeed. I don't think it's teething though. You'd see other additional symptoms if that was the case. Did you have his ears checked for an infection? Has he had a cold recently? Sometimes the doctors will say it's after a cold that they usually see ear infections in children.

Kathy said...

I agree with the ears. Claire wouldn't show any signs during the day and would go to bed totally normal then wake up every night. I of course waited about 2 weeks before I took her in and she had a double ear infection by that point. A little tylenol never hurts either - that way if it's teeth or ears it will help him sleep.

Kids are such a pain ... as soon as you get used to sleeping a full night they find some reason to wake you up. Little stinkers!

mangrumminute said...

Cambria has just started to get up in the middle of the night again out of no where. She has been sleeping a good 8 hours for a month before. My friends say it is a growth spurt? Does he go through a growth spurt now? I don't know but I am getting tired too. If all fails have John get him:)

Roney Family said...

That's the pits. I have no advice for you. I am so bad with bedtime. I am a whimp. Reagan has to hold me back from going in and solving the problem. I think all my kids started sleeping through the night at a year. So I am hoping I can do this one better. But if you think its teething, it doesn't hurt to rub some of the numbing stuff on his gumbs. Or give him a teething tablet before he goes to bed. Good luck with that. Hopefully something will start working for you!

Kyla Armstrong said...

I'd totally have his ears checked and then if that's ok, give him some tylenol if you think he's teething. JT did the same kind of thing and I would just let him work it out if I was sure there wasn't anything wrong with him.