Friday, February 20, 2009

Joshua

I've mentioned her before, and here she is - Joshua's best friend at school... Who according to Joshua "always wants to hold my hand." He's obviously got good taste, because she is an adorable little girl. Joshua has been such a good kid for me lately. A few weeks ago I was finding myself frustrated too often, and yelling even more often. It was usually a circumstance where Luke would be crying and I'm trying to get Joshua to do something and I have to ask him 5 times before I completely loose it and yell. So... after a BAD day at preschool, having Mrs. Jennifer say he was not listening, I decided we needed to do something different. We started listening balls and they are working so well. If I ask Joshua to do something and he does it right then, he gets a ball in his jar. If I have to ask him 3 times, he looses a ball, 4 times he looses 2 balls etc. He has to earn 5 balls each day before he can play on the computer, and when he gets the jar all filled up Bop is going to take him to Disneyland. This is working perfectly for him. I'm not yelling and he is listening. Life is easier! The cutest part is that when I ask him to do something he salutes me and says "Aye, Aye Captain." I love it - and he's learned that it gets him a listening ball. We've also started a chore chart. It's got mostly personal hygiene chores on it, with the added bed making and toy picking up. Daddy takes him for an ice cream if he fills it up each week. That's going awesome as well. I'm proud of him for being such a big boy.
Here is the Valentine party at preschool. Notice Luke sitting at the table as well. Thank goodness Mrs. Jennifer is so accommodating, and doesn't scold me when Luke insists on participating in the class. Evey time we pick up Joshua, Luke runs into the middle of their circle time and Mrs. Jennifer usually ends up giving Luke a sticker with the rest of the kids. I make sure to bring the main dish to the parties, because I know I will need extra for Luke - there is not way that he would be able to handle being there and not participate! I think he will be so excited to go to his own class when the time finally comes.

6 comments:

kori said...

that little girl is way cute! the boys got good taste!

Dana and Chase said...

i cant believe how fast they are gwoing up. joshua is not the little boy i remember or luke!... i miss it!

Debra said...

I love reading your blog!! I feel more connected to those little guys! I think you are a wonderful mother and have made motherhood a career - not just a passtime of family life.

Nancy said...

What a beautiful family! I love your listening ball ideas...I could have used it when the boys were younger.

JackieO-had-a-nanny said...

Hey Brooke, I love your blog! The kids look great. Hope to see you at Kelly's wedding in 2 weeks.

jbel said...

i cannot believe how much alike Kaley n Luke r.
i had 2 leave Emma's preschool graduation early 'cause K insisted on being included n the teachers weren't having it!
i'm so glad Joshua's teachers don't mind Luke's little self joining the group so that u can volunteer in his room.