Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Arkansas

 I'm a little late documenting my trip to visit Robin and Cody in Arkansas.  I hope that I can remember everything I wanted to write about.  First of all, you should all be amazed at the amazing store Robin and Cody have built.  Look up California Yogurt Company on facebook to see pictures of their shop.  They did such a good job with every detail...  and of course the yogurt is delicious.  I kept thinking how cool Joshua would feel walking into their shop and being able to get whatever he wanted!

When I arrived in Little Rock, Robin picked me up from the airport, then we drove to the shop where Cody was working.  He handed me an envelope he had prepared for me  - the paper inside said "Welcome to Arkansas, I hope you enjoy your stay."  He had put inside a gift certificate for a manicure and pedicure, a gift card to Olive Garden, and of course and all you can eat gift certificate to the yogurt shop.  What an amazing brother-in-law he is!! Do you not agree?!  Cody also worked the entire weekend to let Robin and I just hang out and have fun.

We honestly didn't do anything exciting.  We hung out, ate out, and shopped places like Walmart, TJMax, and Hobby Lobby.  It was AMAZING - seriously - I had the best time.  Arkansas is beautiful.  The trees were SO colorful and plentiful.  I kept telling Robin that I could totally live there.  I was impressed.  Cody says the summers are what make it impossible for him to live there permanently -  And knowing my intense relationship with the weather, I'd probably come to the same conclusion. 
(Me, in front of the Cornish House, where the Duggars lived while in Little Rock)
Apart from getting to spend awesome time with the Orvins, the highlight of my trip was getting a little Duggar connection.  If you don't know why I love the Duggars so much, let me tell you.  They have managed to raise kids with the highest values.  I worry everyday about how I'm going to be able to do the same in today's world.  John and I had got to speak in church a few months back and the topic was teaching your children the stories of Jesus.  The first person that popped into my mind was Michelle Duggar.  I even asked Robin "Can I use Michelle Duggar as an example in my talk?"  I just love how she, and so many other people in Arkansas, so openly use the example of Jesus in their everyday language and life.  I feel like we so often us "choose the right"  or "make good decisions"  instead of "what would Jesus do" or "you need to stay tethered to Jesus".   They just do such a good job of instilling that personal relationship with Christ and there is an accountability that comes with that.  I admire the Duggars for the kids they raise, for how they unapologetically live different than many people, and of course for the amazing patience Michelle has in parenting.  So all that leads me to this next picture.  This is me on the phone with Michelle.  Crying - telling her that she's an inspiration.  It is an enormous task we have as parents to guide our children back to their Heavenly Father. 

No comments: