Sunday, November 20, 2011

Hunter's Birthday

On Thursday around 1pm I was feeling like labor could be coming.  But like I've mentioned before, I had so many braxton hicks with this pregnancy that I also wouldn't have been surprised if nothing came to be.  I think I started timing contractions at 5pm, just as we were headed out to see Santa.  I had my mom take me home by 7pm and at 7:30 I called the doctor.  My doctor had already left for his Thanksgiving vacation back east, and the Dr. covering for him was taking longer to call back than I hoped, so John and I just headed down to the hospital around 8pm.  When I got to the hospital they had all my info incorrect, and didn't have any of my prenatal papers.  They thought I was 36 weeks and in pre-term labor.  We convinced them I was 38 weeks (well 37 and 6 days) and after monitoring me for an hour they admitted me.  When I arrived I was close to 3 centimeters dilated, and when I was admitted, I was close to 4.  Then around 12:30am, I was 5 centimeters dilated and they gave me fluids, and epidural, pitocin, and absolutely nothing happened from 1am-6am.  Well, his head moved down a bit, but no dilation.  They broke my water at 6am, I made another centimeter or so. Then around 8:45am my new nurse came in, decided Hunters head was just not positioned right.  Got her hand around his head, and her other hand/arm over my belly and worked to get him in the right position - turning and pushing.  About 30 minutes after that, I pushed my epidural button because I was starting to feel my contractions more than I wanted to.  With Caroline - the nurse had me start pushing before my body was ready.  The epidural was not working and even though it was only about 15 minutes of pushing for her - they HURT!  So I didn't want a repeat of that.  After pushing the button, I still didn't feel numb enough and they were going to call the anesthesiologist.  The nurse decided to check me first and she said that she could get me more meds, but if I wanted I could have the baby out in two pushes.  I reluctantly trusted her, the called the OB and in less than two contractions - but technically 3.5 pushes - Hunter was out.  He cried so soon, sooner than my other kids.  The OB guessed his weight right on at 6 lb, 6 oz.  He looked so small to me!  My other kids were all around that same weight though.  Joshua 6lb 12oz, Luke 6lb, 1oz, and then Caroline 4lb 15oz.  He was covered in that white stuff.  We both initially thought he looked like Luke.  But then now having looked back at Luke's pictures, he really doesn't.  I think he has Luke's skin, possibly Joshua's eyes and forehead, and his own nose and mouth.  His hair reminds me of Caroline's - but much lighter.  Contrasted against his red skin, his hair almost looked gray the first 24 hours.  He also sported purple feet and, occasionally, legs.  Apparently it is normal and fine, but the color shocked us.  This picture in no way exaggerates what this looked like in person.

We are so excited to have Hunter here.  I feel more attached to him as a two day old than I did initially with my other kids.  Going to bed last night, I missed him!  I am so grateful to have him in our family.

4 comments:

The last Unicorn said...

He is so cute. I think he looks a little like each of your kids, but like you said, kind has his own little unique look. And that is so sweet that you missed him when you went to bed. Isn't it weird how that happens???

Robin and Cody said...

He's so little and cute and precious! I can't wait to spend some good time with him after Thanksgiving.

kori said...

he is adorable. i can't decide who i think he looks like, but i definately think he looks like he fits in your family. he is so tiny and cute! congrats

jenn (+ will) said...

he is so cute brooke! i can't wait to meet him. so fun to have babies so close in age :) congratulations!!!!!