Sunday, March 15, 2009

Me

In a couple months I'm going to be 31. That will make me 9 years away from 40, then just 10 years away from 50. I've been amazed at how much I still feel like 'Brooke' at age 30. After, marriage, home, 2 kids, and 30 years I would expect myself to feel more like 'Debra' and less like 'Brooke'. So, when I do reach 50, will I still feel just the same as I do now? Will I find it hard to sit still for 3 hours of church? With our children grown, and not sitting on the pews next to us, will I go back to passing notes to John like I did before Joshua?
John actually had his first real day at church in 6 weeks today. Because I'm the primary chorister, when a kid is sick John is the one that stays home. So, John had only been to church twice in the last 6 weeks, and both times he was subbing in primary, making today his first official adult day back at church.
Strangely, or not strangely, I am loving being the primary chorister. All 3 hours of church are enjoyable, spiritual, energetic, and interesting. I really believe that it is the absolute perfect calling for me - which is surprising because I really don't sing. My voice is pretty bad - and has no range at all. But I'm loving it. I'm not minding the cost, effort, or consistency. I've had the stomach flu, colds, sore throats, been completely drained, but still managed to be up there - and enjoying it. I love the songs, and I think that kids are my best audience. I would make a horrible relief society teacher or Sunday school teacher. And I would hate the pressure and anxiety the calling would give me. But kids bring on no anxiety, and I am excited to teach them. So - it's perfect for me, I love it, and I hope I don't get released for a long time!

5 comments:

jenniho ♥ said...

I'm right there with ya as far as the choirister. I love it too. I find I need more time for all the songs I want to teach the kids.

The last Unicorn said...

You are hilarious! You ask yourself just as many funny questions as you ask everyone else! I think you will always be Brooke. I often ask myself if there will be time when I can sit through 3 hours of church with out getting restless. I am glad you are loving your new calling :)

mcwally said...

i loved that calling, too! it is totally exhausting, but so wonderful. i love sub'ing in there now.

i'm glad you get to enjoy it.

can you believe that we have become our mothers? but not. i agree, i still feel like me, just too busy with little hands to actually act on my normal impulses.

thanks for the thoughts.

Nancy said...

I can tell you from experience...you WILL still feel like Brooke at age 50. You'll just look in the mirror and realize that you're looking more like "Debra." (And 3 hours of church is always hard!)
You must be the perfect primary chorister. If they are smart, they will keep you there a long, long time!

Caitlin said...

You don't have a bad voice, you silly thing! And you do a great job with the kids :)