Saturday, June 11, 2011

Joshua turns 6

 So like I mentioned in the Alisal post - Joshua loves to go out to eat.  His actual birthday we took him to Benihana for Lunch.  Robin was so kind to take Caroline for me so I didn't have to deal with an 18 month old, and was able to enjoy the celebration.  Luke had been having weird stomach sickness, so we only let him eat white rice, which totally bumbed him out.  But we promised a return so he can enjoy everything.  The great thing about lunch at Benihana is that an adult meal is only $10.  The bad thing is that their kid meals are also $10.

Following lunch we picked up Caroline from the Orvins new close house and headed home for some gift opening.  The favorite surprise hit was the skateboard.  He loved it and rode it for hours afterwards.

My 6 year old Joshua is completely average in height and weight.  He hasn't lost any teeth, but his bottom two are ready and waiting.

 He's done awesome this year in music, does well in math, and obviously has the conversing thing down.  His fine and gross motor skills are a bit lacking.  John would say - he's not behind on gross motor - he's just not Redge.  Redge was riding a bike without training wheels at like age 3.  John says Redge is super athletic (like most people who have never played rugby in their life, don't just walk onto a college team) and I'm just comparing Joshua to him.  I don't feel that I am, but maybe he's just normal.  The hard thing is John works a lot.  His time with Joshua is taking Joshua to school in the morning, and Sundays - 3 hours of which are filled up with church.  And I am really bad at being the mom that teaches her kid to ride a bike and hit a baseball.  So the kid isn't getting much help from us parents either.

As far as the fine motor skills go, he just doesn't care what his letters look like.  He just gets them down.  But let me tell you - I think he's an amazing artist.  He doesn't draw all that well, but give him a box to color, and you'll end up with the most elaborately rainbow colored box you've ever seen.  A little annoying when he's supposed to be grafting for homework and he has about 15 boxes in all to fill in.  But at least he's being creative and taking pride in what he's doing.

 I don't know if Joshua has the type of personality that his teachers will ever see or appreciate.  John came home early on Thursday night to go to a kindergarten performance by Joshua's class.  90% of the time Joshua was on stage he was dazed barily even dancing.   I was so glad we didn't invite any grandparents.  But at home in the days leading up to the performance he was completely animated dancing and singing the songs around the house.  Go figure.  Joshua is dependable, trust worthy, knows right from wrong, always an amazing big brother to Caroline, and often to Luke.  He is a constant talker and question asker.  He's enjoyed recess and snack time this year, but could take or leave school.  He probably wouldn't care at all if I decided to homeschool him.  But my goodness would I have a hard time being patient.  I can hardly hold my patience practicing the piano with him.  

Joshua has always seemed old to me.  I'm glad he's my first kid because he has been and will continue to be my big helper as life is chaotic.  I can't believe that in another 6 years he will be 12!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think John ia a wonderful father and husband! He works so hard to provide for his family! He has a lot on his shoulders right now wih Brad being sick. And Joshua is great! Boys are always slower with their fine motor skills.

Robin said...

Joshua probably got my boarding/biking skills, considering I happen to stink it up on a skateboard (he already looks better than me!). I just love Joshua at his age. The acorn comment from a couple of posts back and the way in which his brain works is so fun. He is getting too big too fast though. I don't know how to relate to a 9-13 year old kid.