Thursday, July 3, 2008

Peter Pan

This post is overdue by 3 months. It was supposed to be the 1-year-old update, but is now the 15-month-old update. What can I say about little Lukey... I think the two words that best describe this kid are stubborn and determined. I never knew that a 15 month old (or 14 or 13 month old) would through a temper tantrum. If this little guy gets something in his brain, and if he doesn't get what he wants, he throws himself on the floor and flings his whole body around like a fish out of water - crying the whole time. If we try to get him to do something he doesn't want to do - same thing.
I'm convinced Luke doesn't want to grow up. He is refusing to eat big boy food. He'd rather I feed him pureed beef (yuck!!) then eat cut up banana, toast, strawberries, etc. If I try to give him actual food - he spits is out - if I continue to try - he has a fit. What he is most stubborn about is walking. He gets so mad when we try to work on his walking. You'd think he'd be sick of crawling - especially because outside the cement hurts his knees - so he has to walk like an ape. But no - he definitely does NOT want to walk. Is it possible to have a 1 1/2 year old who doesn't walk? We are convinced he just wants to stay our baby.
One thing Luke can be awesome at is playing by himself. If he's in a good mood, he'll go into the play room and play forever by himself. He gets all sorts of toys out, and can keep himself entertained. Also, if people are over, he usually is very content being an observer. Luke also gives awesome hugs and cuddles when he is tired. I love rocking him in his chair if he's extra tired because he just burrows into me. Last night however, I was doing just that when out of no where he bit my arm. I decided to not make a huge deal out of it, and just quietly said "no, no Lukey." Then he did it again. So I sat him up, looked at him in the face and sternly said "no bite!" Then got the biggest grin on his face and laughed and laughed. Crazy kid! Luke is not shy, and gets super excited to see the people he knows and loves. John especially loves how energetically excited Luke is when he comes home from work. Luke loves to play peek-a -boo, read a book, drink a bottle, chase Ruby, dance, take a bath, get into the kitchen cupboards, and be held. He wakes up super happy and gives me big hugs in the morning. The hugs must be my favorite thing right now. They are usually body and head hugs with his arms behind his back. He also loves to laugh, and if I'm holding him I can usually turn a cry into a laugh if I turn him upside down.
This little guy can definitely wear me out, especially if he and Joshua team up! I'm interested to see how his personality evolves over the next 6 months as he hopefully gives into growing-up a bit. It's fun to see how much he looks up to Joshua, and I'm excited for the two guys to play more and more together. Luke - Thanks for making our lives interesting, and our days full of excitement! I love you as big as the ocean!

5 comments:

kori said...

This was super cute Brooke. I love that little Lukey

Nancy said...

He just melts your heart doesn't he? Luke is so adorable, and smart too! He knows how great it is to be the "baby of the family!"

Dana and Chase said...

I JUST LOVE ALL YOUR FAMILY UPDATES! it makes it almost barable to be away from you guys and not feel like im missing out.. even though i am !

Linda Mott said...

So fun to see your family! Does Luke have his Dad's personality?? Not hardly! What a darling family you are. Enjoy even the difficult times because they grow up way too fast!

jenniho ♥ said...

Ahhh - Little Lukey!! No way Brooke he's an angel! I can't imagine him having a temper!!