Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Babysitters

I want comments from everyone! What do you all pay your babysitters per hour?

11 comments:

Qwendykay said...

$5-6 an hour. $6 for sure if they drive, or are over 18.

That's for 2 kids.

Kathy said...

Well I usually do $5 for a youth babysitter at nights and I usually just round it up to whatever bill I have. And I pay $9/hr for my full-time nanny, plus she gets to drive the new mini-van!

The last Unicorn said...

You really want a comment from everyone??? Well, considering I don't USE babysitters, I will tell you that back in the day when I WAS the babysitter (we're talking over 15 years ago!) I was paid between $5-$10 an hour. The high rollers were my neighbors who used me all the time. Considering the national minimum wage is currently $5.85/hr and Ca's minimum wage is $8.00 and that most babysitters are not part of the working force, I would think anything between $5-$7 is good. I would take age and driving into the equation as well.

Carly said...

Well- I do it a little differently- one of my friends does this and so it makes sense to me. We pay $20 minimum- so if they are there for only 1 hour they get 20- but if they are there for 3 or 4 they get like $25 so it then averages out to $6-7. Reason you ask? If you find one you like and that you want to be available for YOU then you want to make it worth their time- especially if they are a little older. Then they want to babysit for you too. It seems like most of the dates we go on we are gone for 3 or 4 hours. Lately- Craig's mom and dad have been our Friday night guys- that is their "special time" with Elliott. I must say that family beats any babysitter, hands down.

jbel said...

we pay $7, and I've heard from my family living in San Diego that the YW there "request" $10/hour -- puhlease! Let me ask, what makes them think they should get MORE than minimum wage when they've not yet earned a high school degree? In our day (not so long ago) we weren't this greedy. I can remember telling families that I charged whatever they could afford. What happened to those days?!

Roney Family said...

I don't think I will put how much we pay our babysitter. But I will say one thing. I would never let just anyone watch my kids. These are my precious gems that I want her to guard her life. We pay a way fair amount and we have her come every friday night. She wont sit for anyone but our kids. So we are garaunteed a sitter. And we trust her more then my own parents. Plus I have four kids and she is 17 and drives her own car. To me it's not a matter of money, it's who I can trust and what it is worth keeping her.

Here is a website that might help!

http://www.sittercity.com/rate_calculator.html

stacy said...

We do $6.00/hour on average. If Alex is napping most of the time during the day, or if they're all going to bed soon after we leave, I don't worry about more. If we're gone during the day and there's more "entertaining" involved, we round way up. I'm also different in that I pay all babysitters the same rate. We have three. One is 12, one is 16 and the other is 19. The one who's nineteen can drive and is a better meal fixer. However, my 12 year old is great at doing totally hands on things. The 12 year old's mother says I pay way too much. I just figure she's worth just as much as the rest. Plus, they're all very faithful to us. I never have a problem finding a sitter.

kori said...

Brooke - me and Brad babysit for free!!! That is a great deal.

kori said...

I just noticed your 'who's viewing my blog map' - you are super popular!

Jennifer Gilmore said...

People are getting great deals. We pay $10 an hour for our two little guys - even when they are sleeping.

Dixons said...

This is too funny! I'm not a part of this world yet, but I've seen email chains from a bunch of friends in my ward asking the same thing. In my ward $5.00 an hour is pretty standard, with more for multiple kids. I remember getting paid $1/hour. And I'd watch 5 kids, clean the house, cook dinner....Man, I should take up babysitting nowdays!